Monday, February 01, 2010

Culture critic and modern thinker Noam Chomsky has suggested that professional sports are a distraction created to keep the public busy from other more important tasks such as overthrowing the government etc.

I like to think that I use hockey, both as a fan and a player in a much more positive way. I occasionally watch hockey in large groups, usually with other artists where we use the game as an excuse to gather. Of course there is much talk of hockey but often the discussion goes in many directions during or after the game.

Gathering at a hockey rink to watch our kids play has become a way to strengthen our community in a time when people more often than not choose to stay home.

Playing hockey has allowed me to get to know my neighbours at our local outdoor rinks and inspired dialogue and connections regarding art openings, upcoming live performances and more.

When I am tired after a long day of work and parenting I love to use a hockey game on TV as a way to relax. However, I often find the energy the next morning to be extra inspiring as I am anxious for a contrast from my last waking hours in the previous evening.

All in all, I feel hockey is a positive part of my life that I have come to a point in where I find it hard to imagine living without.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter