Friday, June 06, 2008


I enjoyed the Jamie Lidell concert last night. The Opera House is a fun place to see a show like that. His ability to blend his electronic stuff in the same show as his soul tunes with a fun and funky band kept me interested. The visuals were a big part for sure as they had real-time video editing on a big screen and at times things looked better on the screen than they did right in front of us on the stage. (ie. his tv on his head for the encore looked really great on the big video screen. I suppose it was a bit of a self-reflexive, historical, technological statement ...??..)

Fun to hang out with my friends in the band after too...seeing the inside of their tour bus was kind of cool. Yes, it is true A) I have never been on one before and B) I have always dreamed of touring on one of those and still plan to do it someday asap.

I wish I could have heard Denzal Sinclaire better in the mix as I liked what he added when I could. Both his and Taylor Savvy's vocals were also a really key part of the big sound this band has.

I realized after the show, hanging out in the back that I had played a session with the sax player when I was in Berlin a couple years ago...small world.

Interesting to note that they felt the audience was a bit lack lustre but I felt it was a huge outpouring for a Toronto crowd...I guess it is all relative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter