Monday, March 13, 2006

I really have a hard time doing this booking job sometimes for the
Red Guitar


Besides the fact that it is a lot of work I find myself in strange situations that seem almost like conflicts of interest. This problem of being on the other side of the fence makes it strange. I am always trying to make things a little better for the musicians (and so is Corry ) but I also really understand now much better, how a club works, the bottom line etc.

Now I am running into people trying to get out of their gigs that I called them for at the RG to do other "better" gigs. The conflict I have here is that to a lot of musicians music is mostly or completely work. This is one attitude I have never subscribed to. It is the same reason that when I hear others complaining about being on the road I think of how lucky they are.

Because a gig pays more they feel they have to take it? Even if they have a gig at the Red Guitar, playing the music of their choice with their group?

I am not really sure what to do about this part of the job but I do know it is important to me to do what I can do, to help change the overall image and quality of the jazz industry in Canada. Personally, I think it has to start with artists treating their music more like art.

Thanks for listening to my birthday rant.

any thoughts?
tim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter