Tuesday, June 15, 2004

with the strong improvisers scene of late here in Toronto I have found myself questioning the value of composition and leading these bands of mine that play mostly my music.

I even find the members sometimes prefer improvising. (hmmm....can this be good?) I think their interest in improvisation and high value they attach to the freedom of improvisation is the reason for this.

It occurs to me that besides being a lot of fun, composition is a way to control (oh no, not the C word!) the direction of a band. It allows me as a leader to have some say in how our concert will be shaped and how we will communicate with the audience.

Generally, I prefer a nice blend of composition and improvisation in a set, both as a listener and a performer.

tim@guildwoodrecords.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter