Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What do you do with talent? Not something I have ever really had to worry about. But....I teach private guitar lessons to these two high school kids who are both really nice, interesting, quirky, moody, talented, creative, stubborn, lazy...anyways today they brought me their 1/2 hour film they made.

I liked it so much I watched it 3 times. Ok...it is not brilliant or amazing, has technical flaws like bad sound etc. but for a first film...wow. this is really good. Some of the shots and directing and even acting are excellent.

But what do I do to help these kids? Or do they need my help? I am trying to open up worlds for them by playing music for them they would never have heard, talking about film a bit, directors they don't know etc. but....what else?

It occurs to me that being a film maker in Canada would be a very frustrating passion. At least being a musician you can just write songs, practise your instrument and even play the odd small gig here or there but making films is a tough thing to dabble in, let alone make a living.

What do you do with talent? My friend Sandy's kids sing beautiful harmonies to their original songs that are pretty good and they are only 10 and 13. Do you try to give them a head start? I guess I would like to do things for these kids that no one did for me. Like I said...I never really had to worry about that.

tim

2 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Herbie Nichols had talent. Look what happened to him.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Charlie Brown,

Firstly, in terms of talent - I do believe you are selling yourself just a tad short.
Secondly, as for doing something for these kids - I believe you already have - and I know you will continue to do so. Most adults are just too busy to watch some high school students' movie once, leave alone three times. Making time for kids - talented or not is a gift that will last a lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter